Thursday, March 30, 2017

Skibby sent us the following email and photos on Monday, March 27, 2017.  Last week she was assigned to be a trainer, so she now has one week under her belt.  The package she refers to at the end is the birthday package we mailed to her.  She had to go pick it up from the mail office.

Date:  March 27, 2017 at 9:36 AM
Subject:  Hello from afar

Dear Familia,

Well, you know how they say one year wiser and older too? That just doesn't make any sense. I am really only 1 day older than I was yesterday. Goodness. I hope I have learned a lot though. I sure have met a whole bunch of people in this time. It's been awesome.

Well, to be brief, my companion's name is Hermana Rivera. A typical Spanish name, but she's from Kentucky and doesn't speak a lick of Spanish, even though her parents are from Puerto Rico. She is awesome and ready to work hard. I can appreciate so much how hard the mission was at the beginning. We speak a lot in Spanish. I think it will help her a lot. 

It has been really fun to watch her improve talking to people in just 5ish days. Sometimes we'll be waiting at a stop light, or for the metro, and I'll hand her a card and she'll go and start talking. My favorite experience was while we were taking her suitcases home and in the metro she said "HOLA!" really loudly and the guy she wanted to talk to completely ignored her. I also asked him a direct question, and he completely ignored me. You have to love them anyway:) 

We've had some really good lessons this week. It rained. Have you heard about the flooding in Peru? It's really bad there.

My birthday was awesome! The best thing that happened was a call from the Mostoles Hnas. I got to talk to Luz and Gustavo. They are so happy. 

Yesterday we visited an investigator who made a little cake for us. His birthday was a couple weeks ago and they still had balloons up from his party. So we celebrated there a little bit. 

I'll send more stuff next week. Thanks for everything. I'm going for my package now. Love you all, and have a great week!


skib

Skibby with her companion, Hna. Rivera, on the left (in both pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment