Thursday, December 29, 2016

We Skyped with Skibby on Christmas Day.  We had a few technical difficulties initially (she could see and hear us on her computer, but we couldn't see or hear her on ours), but eventually we got things resolved and were able to visit with her.  She is happy and doing great!  She sent us the following email the next day--Monday, December 26, 2016.  She included lots of Spanish words I didn't know.  I tried to look up translations and/or explanations for them, and I have included them below in italics and brackets.  That child forgets that my Spanish language skills are muy, muy pequena [very, very small]!

Date:  December 26, 2016 at 8:49 AM
Subject:  Twas the day after Christmas

emergency for the grammatics:
Is majority a singular or plural word???
The majority of the people ____

We were in English class and Paco, the English teacher who is from Spain, and I couldn't decide. So this is an emergency.

Well, I realized you guys don't really know that much about my companion. She is from Lima, Peru, and is 25. She has a fairly big family and all of them are less actives. So I'm blessed to be with her for Spanish, as an example of strength, and as a good friend.

Christmas was really good!

Here and in South American countries they eat Paneton [also spelled “panettone,” I think; it’s a type of sweet bread containing candied fruits and raisins] for Christmas. A ton of paneton. Also here in Spain they eat a lot of turron, [turron is a candy made from almonds, egg whites, and honey] and chocolate with churros.

Friday night we had a Christmas dinner with the ward. It was good. We had a little skit as Missionaries.

So for Christmas Eve we had brunch with one of the members in the church. I made eggie pancakes. Then in the afternoon we tried to go caroling, but nobody wanted to hear us. So we caroled for one of the ward members, then went to the house of Juan, one of the Elder's friends. Their whole family is from Peru and their brother is a chef, so Hna Quispe was in paradise.  We ate with them about a week ago and had Seviche.(?) [It is probably spelled, “ceviche,” and the internet says it is a seafood dish popular in Peru and other parts of Latin America.  It is made from fresh raw fish, citrus juices, and aji or chili peppers.]  Grammy and Bompa, have you had Seviche? Because when I tell you it is hot, I am NOT lying. Also we ate King Kong [I think this may be a type of Peruvian confectionary or cookie…but I’m very not sure]. But for Christmas Eve we ate arroz con pollo [rice with chicken] y paneton. It was really good, and I was grateful that they let us spend some time in their home. We also watched a little bit of "Peru, Nebraska." They think it's hilarious. You all have the right to watch it. You can find it on Youtube [I looked it up and watched it~pretty funny!].

Then my companion and I reenacted the Christmas pageant and sang villancicos [Christmas carols].  Look up the songs, “Burrito Sabanero” [“My Little Donkey”] and “Campanas de Belen” [“Bells of Bethlehem”]. Good songs.

Christmas, like I said, we got up and walked with Fernando a little bit. I hope we can eventually teach him in his house with his family. That's the first time we've walked with him, so hopefully if we keep it up, we can progress. I made eggs benedict. Luz came to church, but she always leaves right after so we never have time to talk to her. Especially because I have to play the postlude. I honestly wish I didn't have to play the piano. They had a pianist, but they make me play anyway.

Then we went to Hna Brechet's house and ate rabbit ;( turkey, potatoes and cake. Later we stopped by a less active’s house and read the Christmas story with her. And then the fiasco with all you people [i.e., the technical issues we had trying to Skype].

Thanks for the package mom! It was amazing. We’ve been making lots of paper things. Everything inside is money. Thank you for being honest and not sending food! The only things they don't have here are Reeses and Skittles, and we can buy those at the English store in Sol.

Love and miss you all! See you next year!!!

Skib
Skyping with Skibby on Christmas Day

No comments:

Post a Comment