Thursday, September 29, 2016

Skibby sent us the following email and photo on Monday, September 26, 2016:

Date:  September 26, 2016 at 9:54 AM
Subject:  Soy de la fabrica

Hola familia!!

When I introduce myself to members I don't say, "I'm from Utah," anymore, because the majority of the missionaries they meet are from Utah. So I just tell them I'm from the fabric, and everyone understands.

This evening my companion and I have to be in Pavones for a training meeting. It'll be the 3rd time I've been to Pavones within a week. (temple for p-day, baptisms for recent converts, and this meeting.) I love Pavones. It feels like my home here because it's where I was born.

Facts about Spain:
- They have really good food here. Mostly really good pastries. I've determined that it's impossible to eat healthily here. But I'm still going to try. If I hadn't bought carrots last week, I don't think I would have even seen a vegetable in the past 3 weeks.
-The elevators are tiny. I know I used to be claustrophobic, but I'm telling you, if I had written that when I sent my papers in, there is no way President Monson would have sent me here.
- And besides elevators, everything else in Spain is also tiny. I don't know if this is only in Spain, or if it's all of Spanish culture, but they minimize everything. If it's a beso, it's a besito, if it's a casa, it’s a casita, if it's a large man, it's an hombrecito. All I can say is, I'm definitely not in Texas.
- The only thing that is not tiny here is the population of cats.
- I've decided that the most common question to ask here is, "where are you from?" because there's a 97% chance they're from somewhere in South America or Africa. It's really crazy to me how many people just gather all their things and move to a different country, but practically everyone here has!

The major 3 miracles of the week:
1. Oscar. Hna Mendoza and I were returning to our Piso, passing the biblioteca and park that is right next to us, and a man came running after us. He said something like, "let's walk and talk. You are looking for people right? I see you coming and going all the time, so you can talk to me. Convince me. I don't believe, but tell me what you would tell someone who did believe..." (we were a little startled, but I promise it wasn't creepy). So we talked to him for only a few minutes because it was curfew.  He wouldn't let us take his referral. But it showed both of us that we are making an impact. Even though it might seem really small, people are noticing.
2. Flor. One of our members brought Flor and her 2 daughters to a Noche De Hogar [Home Evening]. We have NDH as a ward every Friday. Anyway, she works with Flor, and I guess we gave her a card in the street (like we do to all the people who will accept one), and she ended up coming to our NDH! And we have her number! And it just goes to show you that by small and simple things, are great things brought to pass.
3. Carmen. Carmen has been coming to church for about 2 months. She has wanted to be baptized for a while, but her family is against it. She's from Guinea and apparently her spouse is a king over their people.... so she holds a lot of influence there. She's been waiting for their approval. But, she told us she was talking to God, and he basically said, "Carmen, you have to do what you have to do!!" And she remembered the story of Lehi and how some of his sons were against him, but he did what he had to do anyway. So she's going to be baptized Oct 8.

This was really an answer to my prayers. It showed me that God works through people. God answered my prayers through Carmen, and she has no idea. But she is using her albedrio to follow Christ, and it's already blessing others.
It's been an interesting week, but a good one. I hope all of you are well and happy. I love you, and miss you lots!!

Hna (skibby) Christensen

Skibby and her companion, Hermana Mendoza, are on either side of Gabi, who was
baptized September 11th.

No comments:

Post a Comment