Sunday, August 21, 2016

Skibby sent us the following email and photo on Thursday, August 18, 2016:

Date:  August 18, 2016 at 5:00 AM
Subject:  my days here are numbered!

Well, it’s a good thing I don’t have much longer here in the ccm, because I don’t have much to report.

We have been teaching fake investigators, and tomorrow is our last day.

On Saturday I went to the park with a Russian sister named Sister Parkhomenko. She’s great. We brought an Italian bom with us just in case. It was the first bom we gave out. Luckily this lady spoke Italian. I’m not sure she was completely with it, but we gave her the book and took her number. What are the chances we bring a bom on the only day we met someone who spoke Italian?? Obviously none.

Also at the park, we met this incredibly nice lady named Maria. I was trying to be smart and tell her it was funny that we were all talking together because she spoke Spanish. I spoke English, and my companion spoke Russian, and we communicated using the little bit of other languages we knew (me knowing a little Spanish and my companion knowing a lot of English) when we found out she could speak almost perfect English. Yep. But then she told us she was going to speak Spanish. We talked for a solid 40 minutes. Her speaking Spanish, me trying to translate back and forth to English for my Russian companion back to Spanish, and her knowing English the whole time. You’d think there would be an easier way. She’s been here for 43 years all alone. I hope she accepts the gospel. Ugh. She is a great lady.

Besides companionship study, language study, and scripture study, physical activity is one of my favorite things to do here. There are 2 places to play. We call them the pit, and the cage. They are both very rundown and great. We usually play futbol or soccer. Yeah. It’s pretty much just futbol. But it’s always really fun and I’ll miss playing with everyone when I leave. I’ll really miss all the other sisters and the dynamic we have here. I feel a bit like Moses when God called him to go get the Jews. We’ve been speaking only Spanish this week, and I’ve realized that I don’t know the language.  Good thing I already know God’s answer. I’m just going to keep working hard and trust in him. And I know I’ll get there eventually, and I’m excited for the change the field will bring with everything!!

Love and miss you all,
hma Christensen (skibby)

Bring on the field!!

My district in front of the Prado museum.  
Good thing we’re all looking at the same camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment