Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Skibby sent us the following email and photos on Monday, April 17, 2017:

Date:  April 17, 2017 at 6:49 AM
Subject:  La Semana Santa

Hola!
This week was Holy Week. Everyone has been talking about Semana Santa since the beginning of January. All the kids got last Thursday and Friday off and then the whole week this week. It's a big deal. It's been cool to hear about the traditions and things the people do here. Thursday and Friday were a big deal because it's santa cena and the crucifixion. The Catholics walk around in a procession like the Ku Klux Klan. I haven't seen it, but I did see pictures of it, and it was a little bit frightening. I think the orthodox congregations have mass all night long Thursday, because that's when Christ was in the Garden of Getsemani. I don't know. It's really interesting to hear all about it, and it sometimes makes me think these people are really religious, but I like that we just celebrate on Sunday, the day of his resurrection. It's important to remember his suffering, but I think the resurrection shows how we can apply his atonement for happy things and improving our lives. My favorite part about the resurrection is that we can overcome spiritual death. Every time we repent it's like we are being resurrected spiritually. 

This week we had intercambios [exchanges] with the Hermanas from Barrio 9. They're awesome and we see them a lot because they share the church with us. 

Hna Rivera and I went out and got torrijas, the famous Pascua [Easter] treat of Spain, which is really just soggy French toast, but is actually all it's cracked up to be. And we bought some matching shirts. I have been wanting to learn how to make paper cranes for the longest time. I was going to email Heidi and ask her to send me directions about how to do it, but luckily Hna Rivera has been making them since she was little and it's like second nature for her. I feel like I was really lucky to get to know her and spend these last 4 weeks with her. 

I have been stuck in a trio with the B9 Hermanas. We spent 5 hours at church yesterday. My companion should come tonight. Her name is Hermana Tang. Crazy huh?! She's from Malaysia and has 2 weeks left of training. I'm really excited to work with her and teach some Chinese people here!!

Oscar is doing really well. We're working on the other people. That's about all for now. Love you all!!  Hope you had a great Easter and were able to remember all the Savior did for us.


Skib
This is Skibby opening her birthday package from us.


She is showing a little photo album we sent her.  She had asked us to send her some family pictures, and she specifically requested photos of Peter when he was on his mission in Finland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment