Monday, January 23, 2017

Skibby sent the following email and photo on Monday, January 23, 2017:

Date:  January 23, 2017 at 6:39 AM
Subject:  The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good:
We had interviews with Presidente Pack this week. They are good people. Very normal and down to earth. They have to interview all the missionaries every 6 weeks now, so it is a little bit crazy for them. Also while we were talking to Hna Pack, we told her how we'd been practicing to teach Mary about the BOM in English, and Hna Pack pretended to be Mary while Hna Quispe explained the BOM in English. She is improving. Hna Pack's imitation of Mary was unforgettable. 

Lots of people at English Classes -- we split up into 3 groups: basics, intermediate, and conversations. Lucky me I got basics, and am doing my best to explain how our language works. I have never taught basic English before, but I'm using Hna Quispe's book to help know how to explain things. I try to make it enjoyable.

Luz made us cheese bunuelos [fried dough balls—a popular snack] on Tuesday with a masa to eat it with. They taste really good. We visited la Hermana Maria Makaya on Thursday who gave us coconut bunuelos that also taste very good. Carmen gives us banana bunuelos all the time. You can never go wrong with bunuelos.

We met a sweet 90 year old man at the bus stop named Vicente. He had thick glasses that magnified his eyes bastante [a lot]. I thought about Bompa Lloyd. How is he doing?

Saturday we taught Mary. We were expecting to do a lot of explaining about the Book of Mormon. When we arrived, we found that she was in 1 Nefi 21. And she had underlined the restoration pamphlet and filled out all of the questions in the back. She wanted me to correct it. Luckily she passed. We basically shared our testimonies about the Book of Mormon and the importance it has. We invited her to be baptized. She said, "Now I have a question about this. I was first baptized when they sprinkled a whole bunch of water over my head. And then the evangelicals told me I needed to be baptized again going all the way down in the water. So how many times do I need to be baptized before it's good?" We explained about the priesthood authority. Mary has a lot of potential. She also told us that she was very grateful for us. We met her December 31. She told us this day was very special to her because we were about to start a new year and she found us. Usually she doesn't talk to people on the street, but she talked to us. She said it brought back Jesus Christ in her life.

We saw Carnita again in the street.

The Bad:
All bunuelos are fried. They have a lot of oil.

Friday night we came home at 9:30 and the lock of the door was a little bit strange. They key didn't fit all the way in, and we had to jiggle the door and key to open the door. Everything seemed to be just fine. There were a few drawers that we didn't remember opening that were left open. We thought maybe we had just forgotten. A little while later I remembered that I hadn't taken my bag with me that day. I always have my bag with me, but I had been carrying around the bible (because if I know we will be using the bible in a lesson I like to have it in paper) and decided to just take a few things in my hands that day. I thought about moving my wallet, but knew I wouldn't need it, so I left it there. That's the only thing we could find that was missing. That and Hna Quispe's hat. The next day we went to the police station and someone came to take fingerprints. There weren't any distinct fingerprints, but there were glove prints (of cloth). A member came that night and replaced our lock with a high quality lock. At least they didn't take my scriptures or anything. That's what would have had the most value. There have been a lot of missionaries robbed lately. Someone was robbed in Chamartin. His whole backpack with all of his personal scriptures and things were taken.

The Ugly:
We've always felt good when people tell us, "sois muy guapas las dos" [you are both very handsome] until we realized only the elderly people walking in the street who should be using glasses tell us that.

Que tenga una buena semana!! Espero que todos esten bien y feliz. les quiero!  [Have a good week!!  I hope you all are well and happy.  I love you all!]

Hna Christensen
Luz (on the left) made the empanadas Skibby & Hermana Quispe are holding


No comments:

Post a Comment